
Iran has confirmed it will boycott next week’s World Cup finals draw in Washington after the United States refused to issue visas to several members of its delegation, including federation president Mehdi Taj.
The Iranian Football Federation announced on Friday that the decision was purely political and insisted that it had notified FIFA of its stance.
“We have informed FIFA that the decisions taken have nothing to do with sports and the members of the Iranian delegation will not participate in the World Cup draw,” the federation’s spokesperson told state television.
Reports from Iranian outlet Varzesh 3 earlier revealed that only four delegates, including national team head coach Amir Ghalenoei, had been granted visas for the December 5 ceremony. Taj strongly condemned the U.S. decision, stressing that FIFA president Gianni Infantino had been asked to intervene. “It is purely a political position and FIFA must tell them to desist from this behaviour,” he said.
Iran secured qualification for the 2026 World Cup in March, sealing their fourth consecutive appearance and seventh overall. Though the nation has never progressed beyond the group stage, clashes with the United States remain among the most symbolic in tournament history.
Iran famously defeated the USA 2–1 at the 1998 World Cup in France, before the Americans claimed revenge with a 1–0 win at Qatar 2022. Political tensions between the two nations have endured for more than 40 years, casting a long shadow over every sporting encounter.
Let hear you in the comment.
Discover more from PMnews Blog
Subscribe to get the latest posts to your email.