
The United States invasion of Venezuela is imminent as President Donald Trump announced the complete shutdown of airspace over the country and its surrounding.
Trump, in a Truth Social post said: “To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.”
Last week, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) warned major airlines of a “potentially hazardous situation” when flying over Venezuela due to a “worsening security situation and heightened military activity in or around” the country.
Venezuela revoked operating rights for six major international airlines that had suspended flights to the country following a warning from the FAA.
Venezuela said the FAA had no jurisdiction over its airspace, but the decision led some airlines to indefinitely suspend flights to the South American country from November 24 to 28, according to Marisela de Loaiza, president of the Airlines Association in Venezuela.
Venezuela’s civil aviation authority said late on Wednesday that Spain’s Iberia, Portugal’s TAP, Colombia’s Avianca, Chile’s and Brazil’s LATAM, Brazil’s Gol and Turkish Airlines would have their permits revoked.
The authority said the decision was taken against the carriers for joining “the actions of state terrorism promoted by the United States government”.
The rising tensions come amid a US military build-up off South America and a series of military strikes targeting vessels in international waters off Venezuela and Colombia that have killed at least 83 people.
The US has alleged, without presenting evidence, that the boats it bombed were transporting drugs.
Latin American leaders, international law experts and family members of the deceased, as well as some members of the US Congress, have described the US attacks as extrajudicial killings, claiming most of those killed were fishermen.
Fears are now growing that Trump will use the military deployment in the region – which includes thousands of US troops, a nuclear submarine and a group of warships accompanying the USS Gerald R Ford, the US Navy’s most sophisticated aircraft carrier – to launch an attack on Venezuela in a bid to oust President Nicolas Maduro.
The US has accused Maduro of drug trafficking, while the Venezuelan president has accused the US government of “fabricating a new eternal war” against him.
Let hear you in the comment.
Discover more from PMnews Blog
Subscribe to get the latest posts to your email.